One of the first difficulties you meet when you start an e-commerce business is audience determination. Today we will consider 3 steps that can help you to choose the right target audience.
Let’s start without further ado.
Step 1. Answer on 5W questions
Mark Sherrington offered the method of 5W to determine your target audience. The main idea is to answer 5 questions:
- What: what is your product or service? What will you sell?
- Who: who will buy your goods or services? We will talk about how to specify this answer in step 2. Now you need to have a general idea of your potential clients.
- Why: why will people buy your products? What motivation do they have? What is the reason?
- When: when are your products useful for people? When are clients thinking about purchasing them?
- Where: where can they buy your product? Where do they decide to buy it? Where can they contact your products?
Here is an example of answers you can get:
- What: fashion women’s clothes;
- Who: women from 20 to 35 years old;
- Why: these women want to look modern and stylish;
- When: every day;
- Where: they can buy clothes in the online or offline shop.
After that, you will have a general overview of your target audience. It’s time to move to the next step.
Step 2. Make a portrait of the consumer
Now you need to go further and make a detailed portrait of your consumer. Here are criteria that you can use to describe your audience:
- Demographic: gender, age, marital status;
- Socio-economic: education, career, income level;
- Geographic: place, region, country, city, etc;
- Psychographic: personality traits, psychological type.
It’s better to have at least 3 segments of potential customers.
Say, you have a Magento 2 store with sports clothes with free shipping across the USA. Then your segments can look like:
- Men, 25-40 years old, single. They like active life and sports. They are looking for high-quality sports clothes for regular training. They live in the USA and have average or above-average income.
- Women, 25-40 years old, single. They like active life and sports. They are looking for high-quality sports clothes for regular training. They live in the USA and have average or above-average income.
- Men and Women, 25-40 years old. They like active life and sports style. They do sport rarely and use sports clothes for every-day needs because it’s comfortable. They live in the USA and have average or above-average income.
Now, when you understand what are your target people, you may have a question: what should I do with this knowledge? Read the 3-d step to answer this question.
Step 3. Implement this knowledge in business strategy
The understanding of your audience will help you to create a better business strategy. Here’s what you can do next to deepen your knowledge about customers:
- Create clear goals why you need to understand the target audience;
- Gather all the information about your audience through site statistics, social networks, and polls;
- Make focus groups and interviews;
- Analyze collected data and segment your clients.
After that, you can create relevant content that will suit your audience, and they will want to interact with it. Choose the right style and topics that are clear and interesting for them. Add high-quality images, videos, or infographics to your content.
Following these steps, you can identify your target audience and start to attract the needed people. This is only the beginning of your marketing journey, but knowing, who your customers are, is a must-have basic.
Still have questions? Feel free to ask them in the comments below!