Magento 2 Admin URL: How to set a custom Admin URL
An Admin URL varies with every new platform installation. Once installed, the admin URL and path are below the Magento 2 base URL:
Default Base URL:
Default Admin URL and Path:
For the sake of security, it is recommended to change the default URL for a custom one. It’s highly advised to avoid the default ‘admin’ or the commonly used ‘backend’ names. This will help you avoid determined attackers and reduce exposure to scripts that try to break into Magento websites.
¡Any mistakes made during the Admin URL and path change can result in access denial and can be corrected only from the server! Do not try to change the URL unless you know how to edit configuration files on the server!
Magento 2 Admin URL change
¡Address your hosting provider before changing the default URL, as some hosting services require a standard URL to conform to the firewall protection rules!
There are two main ways you can set a custom Admin URL for your store:
#1 via the Admin Panel
- Log in to the Admin Panel, choose Stores>Settings>Configuration;
- Navigate to the Advanced settings and select Admin;
- Expand the Admin Base URL section and make the next settings:
- In this case, you will have https://example.com/magento2/backend URL. If you want to change only the path, make changes in the Custom Admin Path section and leave the Use Custom Admin URL option set to 'No';
¡The Admin URL must be in the same Magento installation and have the same document root as the frontend of the store!
- Once it’s made, click the Save Config button and clear the cache.
#2 via the Server Command Line
- Open the app/etc/env.php file in a text manager and change the name of the [admin] path. The admin path is located in the app/etc/env.php file. Look for the <adminhtml> in the <admin> section.
Don’t forget to use the lowercase characters only and save the changes.
- Enter to the Admin panel to clear the Magento cache: System> Cache manager> Flush Magento Cache;
- Return to the server, go to the var/cache folder and delete its content.