Magento 2 Install a New Theme Setup Tutorial
Helpful hint: if you use Amasty extensions, to avoid any conflicts with 3rd-party themes, subscribe to our Custom Theme release. Based on the feedback we've received from our customers, we're now developing a custom theme with the view to offer:
- responsive bug-free theme with minimalistic design;
- the super-light theme for faster website performance;
- a theme with a rich palette of colors, fonts and other customizable options;
- a theme that meets current Magento dev standards.
Magento 2 has two basic themes ‘The Blank Theme’:
and ‘The Lumia Theme’, which is available in case you installed the sample data:
How to set a new theme in Magento 2?
Here we are going to tell you how to install a third-party theme in Magento 2. There are three magento 2 setup variants:
- a theme can be added to your Magento 2 store either using Composer;
- manually through uploading files;
- or via Web Setup Wizard in Magento Admin.
How to install Magento 2 theme manually step by step?
This is the most popular variant of theme installation. If your new theme is just a set of files, which you receive in a .zip folder, you will need to add the theme manually.
Step 1: Unzip the theme
Unzip the archive of the theme and find two directories: app and pub.
Step 2: Upload the files
Navigate to the root directory of your Magento 2 store (use FileZilla or any other file manager). Upload the folders into the root directory.
Step 3: Use the commands
Connect the store via SSH, go to the root directory and upgrade the set up using the commands:
php bin/magento setup:upgrade;
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy.
Step 4: Log in to the Admin Panel
Go to the Content>Design>Configuration and choose Edit the store theme:
Select the desired theme from the dropdown menu and click the Save Configuration button.
How to install Magento 2 theme via Composer?
If a new theme is presented as a composer package, you will need to install it using composer.
The installation process of a theme using Composer is the same as for any other third-party extension. Here are the general steps you should complete:
- Purchase a theme from Magento Marketplace or from a provider whose themes support composer;
- Achieve the Composer name of the theme;
- Enter your Magento root directory and enter the next command:
composer require <vendor>/<name>:<version>;
- Wait till dependencies are updated;
- Enter the following commands: git add -A && git commit -m "Add theme" git push origin <branch name>.
Make sure the theme is registered. For this open the Admin Panel or reload any of the backend pages after it’s installed. Then navigate to Content>Design>Themes and check the theme is displayed on the right panel in the list of available themes.
How to install Magento theme from Marketplace: advice from Amasty?
If a new theme has been distributed as an extension, you will need to work with the Web Setup Wizard in Magento 2 Admin.
Before installing a new theme make sure your system meets the requirements here. You are also advised to Create Backup of your website before installing a new theme.
- Log in to the Admin Panel as a user with complete administrator rights;
- Navigate to System>Tools>Web Setup Wizard:
- Choose Component Manager and click the Sign In link:
- Put in your Public Access Key and Private Access Key from the Marketplace:
- Press the Sync button to synchronize your Component Manager and Marketplace. In a few minutes you will see the number of new purchases, the date your store was last synchronized;
- Under the New Purchases menu click the Install button;
- Tick the module you want to install on the grid and choose the Install link for the item;
- Then you have to configure the theme. Go to Store>Settings>Configuration to find a new tab for the extension.
After the installation, check whether there are additional setting instructions from the developer. Depending on the plugins and applets of a theme, additional settings can be required. How to change theme in magento 2? You may have to make changes in the database or files. Follow the instructions from the theme developer.
According to the statistics, you may find helpfull the following question about magento installation on ubuntu.