Magento 2 Install a New Theme Tutorial
Magento 2 has two basic themes ‘The Blank Theme’:
and ‘The Lumia Theme’, which is available in case you installed the sample data:
How to set a new theme in Magento 2?
Here we are going to tell you how to install a third-party theme in Magento 2. There are three installation variants:
- a theme can be added to your Magento 2 store either using Composer;
- manually through uploading files;
- or via Web Setup Wizard in Magento Admin.
How to install Magento 2 theme manually step by step?
This is the most popular variant of theme installation. If your new theme is just a set of files, which you receive in a .zip folder, you will need to add the theme manually.
Step 1: Unzip the theme
Unzip the archive of the theme and find two directories: app and pub.
Step 2: Upload the files
Navigate to the root directory of your Magento 2 store (use FileZilla or any other file manager). Upload the folders into the root directory.
Step 3: Use the commands
Connect the store via SSH, go to the root directory and upgrade the set up using the commands:
php bin/magento setup:upgrade;
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy.
Step 4: Log in to the Admin Panel
Go to the Content>Design>Configuration and choose Edit the store theme:
Select the desired theme from the dropdown menu and click the Save Configuration button.
How to install Magento 2 theme via Composer?
If a new theme is presented as a composer package, you will need to install it using composer.
The installation process of a theme using Composer is the same as for any other third-party extension. Here are the general steps you should complete:
- Purchase a theme from Magento Marketplace or from a provider whose themes support composer;
- Achieve the Composer name of the theme;
- Enter your Magento root directory and enter the next command:
composer require <vendor>/<name>:<version>;
- Wait till dependencies are updated;
- Enter the following commands: git add -A && git commit -m "Add theme" git push origin <branch name>.
Make sure the theme is registered. For this open the Admin Panel or reload any of the backend pages after it’s installed. Then navigate to Content>Design>Themes and check the theme is displayed on the right panel in the list of available themes.
How to install Magento 2 theme from Marketplace?
If a new theme has been distributed as an extension, you will need to work with the Web Setup Wizard in Magento 2 Admin.
Before installing a new theme make sure your system meets the requirements here. You are also advised to Create Backup of your website before installing a new theme.
- Log in to the Admin Panel as a user with complete administrator rights;
- Navigate to System>Tools>Web Setup Wizard:
- Choose Component Manager and click the Sign In link:
- Put in your Public Access Key and Private Access Key from the Marketplace:
- Press the Sync button to synchronize your Component Manager and Marketplace. In a few minutes you will see the number of new purchases, the date your store was last synchronized;
- Under the New Purchases menu click the Install button;
- Tick the module you want to install on the grid and choose the Install link for the item;
- Then you have to configure the theme. Go to Store>Settings>Configuration to find a new tab for the extension.
After the installation, check whether there are additional setting instructions from the developer. Depending on the plugins and applets of a theme, additional settings can be required. You may have to make changes in the database or files. Follow the instructions from the theme developer.