How to show categories in Magento?
To show categories in a Magento store, you ususally need to complete these steps:
- Create the categories as children of the root category (i.e. not at the same level)
- Make sure all the categories are active. Inactive ones are shown in gray font. NOTE: If a parent category is inactive it's children won't be shown also.
- Check that category's property "Use in Navigation" is set to "Yes"
- Go to System -> Manage Stores, open the "Main Website Store" link and make sure the dropdown for "Root Category *" is set to you root category.
- Clear the cache and refresh the indexes.