What is the difference between Magento order status and order state?
Receive all the order data from one place even from multiple extensions from different vendors. How to get it? Try out our Magento 2 Order Export extension.
The notions “order state” and “order status” are usually mixed up since their names and functions are quite similar.
An order state is a position of an order in the current Magento order processing flow. Magento 2 has the following pre-defines order states:
- Pending Payment
- On Hold
- Payment Review
Each Magento order state can have one or more order statuses assigned to it. This makes processing easier and helps to add some flexibility to order. Status can change in Magento from “pending payment“ to “processing“. For example, a “Pending Payment” order state can have the following order statuses:
- Pending Payment Paypal
- Pending Payment Card
- Pending Payment Store Credit
- and the like.
Magento provides a number of order statuses out-of-the-box but to make order management simpler you can create custom order statuses. For this:
- go to the Admin Panel>System>Order Statuses;
- click the ‘Create New Status’ button;
- fill in all the necessary information in the ‘New Order Status’ page;
- click ‘Save Status’;
- assign a recently created status to a particular Magento order state.
Besides, you can avail of our Magento Order Status extension. With the use of the module, you will manage to:
- Change orders status notifications automatically or manually;
- Assign a unique email template to each status;
- Sort orders by statuses, etc.
To get more customers involved and increase your current order rate, simplify your checkout page with our One Step Checkout extension for Magento 1.
According to the statistics, you may find helpfull the following question about payment gateway.
→ Learn how to create custom order status and assign it to the order state in Magento 2 from the official documentation.
See more details on Order Status page