What is the difference between Magento order status and order state?
The notions “order state” and “order status” are usually mixed up since their names and functions are quite similar.
An order state is a position of an order in an order processing flow. Magento has the following pre-defines order states:
- Pending Payment
- On Hold
- Payment Review
Each Magento order state can have one or more order statuses assigned to it. This makes order processing easier and helps to add some flexibility to it.
For example, a “Pending Payment” order state can have the following order statuses:
- Pending Payment Paypal
- Pending Payment Card
- Pending Payment Store Credit
- and the like.
Magento provides a number of order statuses out-of-the-box but to make order management simpler you can create custom order statuses. For this:
- go to the Admin Panel>System>Order Statuses;
- click the ‘Create New Status’ button;
- fill in all the necessary information in the ‘New Order Status’ page;
- click ‘Save Status’;
- assign a recently created status to a particular order state.
Besides, you can avail of our Magento Order Status extension. With the use of the module, you will manage to:
- Change orders status notifications automatically or manually;
- Assign a unique email template to each status;
- Sort orders by statuses, etc.
To get more customers involved and increase your current order rate, simplify your checkout page with our One Step Checkout extension for Magento 1.